Saturday, November 20, 2010

onwards

sunset from Orpheus Island

Stillness
moored @ Orpheus

We woke in the middle of the night to thunderstorms and a wind change while anchored at the reef. Have to admit the conditions of the night weren't very comfortable, but it was worth it to have the snorkel we had! With the winds that blew in at 2:30 am we thought the predicted change had arrived early. Once up and about around 6:30 am we decided to get a move on it before she blows in harder. As the winds are predicted to reach 25kts.
We made our way under sail from Beaver reef to Orpheus Island. Conditions were a bit confused as to expected with winds going from NE to SE. Winds were from the ESE 15 to 18 kts. to start and then changed more from the SE and then going more South before dropping away. By the time we were close to Orpheus the winds were very light, and since we knew we would arrive before dark we just played in the light winds. Something we don't get to do often as we are usually pushing along trying to make the next anchorage. We got in around 15:15 and were greeted by the stillness you see above in the photos. Quite amazing really. One of the prettiest sunsets I've seen in a while.
We will stay here until we get a break in the weather and then move on. Hopefully out t the reef again from here.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

from Franklands to family Islands

Bedarra
Normanby
We left Normanby Island this morning. Winds were 10 kts SSW, which made the anchorage a bit rollie. The sun was out today which made it a contrast to yesterdays heavy cloudy rainy day! We went all the to Wheeler Island, but had trouble with the anchor. We anchored in 12 ft of water, but found it strange that we couldn't see the bottom. It was about 4:15 this afternoon with the sun going behind storm clouds. We dropped the anchor and was going about getting settled in when we heard a big popping/banging noise. When Bruce went to check it out our bridle was stuck on something underwater. Most likely a big rock. We decided we didn't like this so I drove us off the rock while Bruce pulled up the bridle then the anchor. We moved over to Bedarra, and dropped the pick here. It is a glass out right now. Not a breath of wind.
On our travels today we were able to make water since we were motoring all day, and I did our laundry. Now boats all dry, & clean. feels good. Looks like 2 more days of light weather before a big SE change this weekend.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cloudy & raining

Well looks like we will have to come back and explore the Frankland Islands another time.
It has been a heavy cloudy & rainy day today. haven't gotten off the boat. Couldn't do my yoga this morning as the decks are too wet!
I'm getting ansey and want to move south with the calmer winds. The weather charts show showers over the coast for the next few days, so if we can't snorkel or walk I'd at least like to be moving on.
We will head down to the Family group tomorrow. See how we go.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Frankland Group

What a TOTAL CONTRAST to yesterday. Today should have been the day we went offshore to the reefs! Calm winds sunshine, and calm seas. More of that to come over the next few days with a change scheduled for Saturday. Not sure where we will end up for that. We may go off from here to explore the reef some more.
We met up with Sea Fox here at Normanby Island, and Catilac pulled in here today as well. We all met on our boat for a sundowner. Good times were had!! Catilac moves on Sea Fox stays one more day then moves on. We will probably stay one more night as well. I want to explore the islands.
Will get some photos tomorrow.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Out into the deep

We made it out to Flynn reef, but we didn't stay. The winds picked up to 18 kts, and so did the seas. We decided that it wasn't going to be very comfortable, with the swells and clouds it wouldn't have been snorkeling weather. We plotted a new course for Fitzroy Island. Not one of our favorite anchorages it was very uncomfortable last time we sat there, but it had to be better then where we were. By the time we came about and started heading in the winds picked up to 22/25kts, and the seas were a lumpy mess. Tropical Soul took a lot of water over the decks.

We are now inside the anchorage and it is Quite comfortable. We will move on tomorrow to Russell Island where Sea Fox is anchored and catch up with them for a night. They are making their way South as well, and we have been one anchorage behind them for a few days.
Well thats all for now. No photos today.

Oh yeah but I did have a couple of really exciting hits on my fishing rod, but the drag was messed up so I lost it but it made a really long run with the bait.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Green Island

We left Michaelmas reef today a bit after 10am waiting for the sun to be high enough to see the bommies (coral heads). We had a course plotted to Flynn reef, which is about a 5 hour run, but as we started to proceed the winds decided to pick up right on our nose. We went through a channel between Upola and Arlington reefs with wind against tide. We decided to make it an easier day and go to Green Island, and tomorrow from here we will have a couple of hours sail out to Flynn. There is only one mooring here at Green Island and we took it. The water isn't very clear at all, and there were lot's of people about on the island. Too busy for us. We took advantage of having a bit of time in the shade and resting. I'm fighting a little bout of something maybe sinus infection, and Bruce has been a bit under the weather lately as well. We both just had a read and a rest.

Tonight it is turned quite pleasant with calm winds and half moon. Before dark we could see bat fish, & Trevally playing on the stern.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Michaelmas Cay






We finally received the what we were waiting on in the post. Our new booster for the internet. Which means we can now be on our way. With a good weather forecast for the next several days maybe even a week we have decided to go out to the reefs off of Cairns before heading South. First stop Michaelmas Reef. We found a mooring available here. Had a lovely snorkel, and a swim under the boat with lots of Bat fish, Trevally, and a Trigger fish too.
We had to motor out today as the wind was too light, but around sunset storms to the South of us had the winds picking up to 20 knots from the S/SW. We never did get any rain, and now the winds are calming again.
Michaelmas Cay is a bird sanctuary, and there are so many birds here that the Cay has a bit of an odor to it. Here are a few photos from our snorkel earlier today.

Contributors